My forum for venting about the idiots I encounter.  Sometimes I'm not very nice, I guess, so if you know any of the people I talk about, then my apologies.  Take that as you will.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Bill Again (or is it Still?)

Okay, remember a few months ago I talked about Personal Enemy Number 1 (aka Bill)?  Well, the guy just won't stop being a jerk.

(Did I mention that Bill is still in this same office?  He didn't move out when he started that new company, so I have to see him ALL THE TIME.  Different business entity, same physical location.  That's made the last year a bit awkward, but I otherwise like my job, and I don't want to try to find something else right now, given the current economy.  Therefore, I continue to complain about him.)

I could go on and on about how unethical this man is.  About how selective his memory is.  About how two-faced he is.  About how dishonest he is.  About how he cares more about money than he does about people.  About how he doesn't see anything wrong with anything he's doing.  About how his new business partner (the guy that he started a new company with and 'gave' clients to and who was supposed to be his ticket to retirement) is now his ex-business partner.  About how that new guy (who we'll call David) just couldn't stand more than a few months of working with him and has moved to a new office and has taken what clients he could with him, all while trying to not be cheated by Bill.

I could go on an on about all of that, but I won't.  It probably wouldn't be all that interesting anyway.

I really feel for David, Bill's ex-business partner.  I've actually become pretty good friends with him over the past few months.  He's really nice, didn't know what he was getting into, and is one of the most honest people I've ever met.  He has apologized to me repeatedly for what Bill did (even though it wasn't David's fault at all), and said that the picture Bill painted of the people in our office was completely different than the truth.

And he's told me that Bill continues to talk badly about the people in this office, including me.  Bill one day mentioned to David that I am not management material and I don't have what it takes to run a company.  David asked him, "How do you figure that?"  And Bill replied, "He just doesn't put in enough hours, and he leaves too early."  This, coming from a man who generally arrives at the office between noon and 3 pm, if he even gets to the office at all that day.

To put it mildly, I was more than a little ticked after hearing about this latest from Mr. Business Ethics.

So I went back through the company's time records, just to take a gander.  Here's what I found:
- In 2002 (the first full year I worked here), I was a full-time college student, working here full- to part-time.  I worked 238 more hours than Bill.
- In 2003, I was still a full-time college student, working here full- to part-time.  I worked 288 more hours than Bill.
- In 2004, I was still a full-time college student, still working here full- to part-time.  I worked 504 more hours than Bill.
- In 2005, I was STILL a full-time college student (only it was a master's program this year).  I was still working here full- to part-time.  I worked 357 more hours than Bill.
- In 2006, I was no longer a full-time college student, and I was working at the office full-time.  I worked 1,058 more hours than Bill.  (That's more than half a year, if you calculate a year as 52 weeks at 40 hours per week).
- In 2007, I worked 1,190 more hours than Bill.
- In 2008, (the last year I was technically employed by him) I worked a whopping 1,378 more hours than Bill did.

If you add all that together... since 2002, I have put in 5,013 more hours than Bill has.  That's the equivalent of two and a half years, based on the 52/40 work year.

You're right, Bill.  I should probably put in more hours like you do.

Idiot.

3 comments:

  1. You should totally print out your total hours and leave it on his desk with "FYI" marked on it. He's certainly not the person I thought he was. Jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a sad story, but written with such humor. You have a gift. One that I am sure Bill couldn't touch with a 10-ft. pole. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I don't know why he just doesn't retire already and spare all of us the pleasure of his company.

    ReplyDelete